November 2018 Wrap Up

My month in one photograph. 


November Rankings:

As a teacher, you're not supposed to have favorites. As a reader, I love ranking! 


1. Fireworks by Sarina Bowen 
This was an easy choice for me. Sarina is one of my top 5 favorite romance authors, so I know I'm going to like anything she writes. Four Stars! Find my full review of Fireworks HERE.

2. Dangerous Exes by Rachel Van Dyken
I haven't had a romance book make me laugh this hard, ever. This is easily one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time. Four Stars! Find my full review of Dangerous Exes HERE 

3. Good Time by Jana Aston 
Here's another book that made me laugh out loud. Our heroine's voice is unique and she's so easy to root for. Four Stars! Find my full review of Good Time HERE.

4. Good Girl by Jana Aston 
This one didn't deliver the same punch as Good Time, probably because I was so attached to the GT characters. But, it was still a good Thanksgiving day read. Three Stars. Find my full review of Good Girl HERE.

5. Sweet Cheeks by K. Bromberg
This book, and the four above are my favorites from November. I liked the story and characters, but I think I'm just not a fan of the movie start trope. Three Stars. Find my full review of Sweet Cheeks HERE 

6. Wrecking Ball by P. Dangelico
I enjoyed the storyline and tropes from Wrecking Ball, but I just wasn't that into our hero, Calvin. This book also really reminded me of The Wall of Winnipeg and Me. I don't mind if stories are similar, but there's gotta be something that sets it apart. This story was missing the wow factor for me. Three Stars. Find my full review of Wrecking Ball HERE.

TIE 7. I Bet You by Ilsa Madden-Mills 
At the end of the month, this is the only book I literally couldn't remember much about. I know I liked it enough, but if I've forgotten the entire plot in less than 30 days... Three Stars. Find my full review of I Bet You HERE.

TIE 7. Blurred Lines by Lauren Layne
Much like I Bet You, I think if I hadn't just read this book, I would have forgotten a lot about it. I was an fine read- no real complaints, but nothing to push it into top 5. Three Stars. Find my full review of Blurred Lines HERE.

8. The Matchmaker's Playbook by Rachel Van Dyken
Coming off of Dangerous Exes, I was expecting a lot more with this one. Mostly, I didn't like how many parts of this book were unrealistic.  Three Stars. Find my full review of The Matchmaker's Playbook HERE.

9. Hate Notes by Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward
I was really disappointed with this book. It was the first book I read with the intention of reviewing and I was ready to give out ALL THE STARS. I hated the pacing and wasn't into the characters. Two Stars. Find my full review of Hate Notes HERE.

November Reflection:

My thoughts on blogging, reading, and anything else interesting. 

This was my first month blogging about everything I've read. I managed to squeeze in 8 books this month, which is not my outside-of-summertime norm. I'm not sure if it was the excitement of starting this little blog, or if it was me finally really taking a step out of my go-to author zone and exploring the romance genera more than usual. Never the less, I'm pleased with my work and I'm learning what I want to write about as a reviewer.

Generally, I find short reviews the most helpful. And, I really hate when reviews just summarize the book. Honestly, the less I know going in, the better. All I really want to know before reading is:

  1. Did other people enjoy this book?
  2. What tropes does this book follow? 
  3. That there is a HEA 
When I first started the romance genera, I didn't know that I was supposed to expect an HEA. I would read and read wondering if our main characters would end up together. Often times, I didn't think they would- but that was coming out of a YA mindset. I know enough about YA to believe that our main characters shouldn't always end up together. I think that's what I find so comforting about the genera now.

I can't wait to see what December brings!
Did you read any of the above books this month? Let me know what you thought in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts