Blurred Lines by Lauren Layne


One sentence summary: A guy and a girl attempt to see if you really can be just friends. 

First thought: This book was sweet and started how many of my college friendships started. Just a guy and girl hanging out and enjoying each other's company. It was a nice easy read, but there wasn't anything overwhelmingly wonderful about it. 

Why I read it: I hadn't read a best friend's trope and I was trying to avoid rut. 

POV: First Person Alternating M|F, Present Tense 

Setting: Portland, Oregon 

Tropes: Friends to Lovers, Roommates 

Our Heroine: Payton, she's sweet and just coming out of a long term relationship. She's likable, but there isn't really a character trait or interest that sets her a part from all our other romance heroines. The relationship with her family seemed to drive the plot once or twice, which I'm not always a fan on. 

Our Hero: Ben. He's our typical "underachieving" playboy. He clearly cares about our heroine, which he lets us know upfront, but that's his only super interesting character trait. Otherwise these two were pretty flat. 

Overall thoughts: I did really like the banter between our MCs early on, but those quips became few and far between. The story was sweet and predictable. There were a couple of plot points that drove our characters together and a part, and I'm not always a fan of that forced story telling. 

Overall, it was well written and a good read. I was a nice way to spend a Friday evening, but these characters won't be people that I'm thinking about long after I've finished the book. 

The sexy scenes: Medium. There were a few PG-13 cut aways and a few super sweet scenes with our MCs. 

The best part of the book: Remembering what it was like to be fresh out of college and still having those friendships. The honesty about how relationships change as we grow up and a little look at what it means to be friends with the opposite sex. 

Worst part of the book: There's really no worst part. I guess just the flatness. 

TLDR: An enjoyable in the moment read, but it likely won't be in your top 20 favorite books. 

How I read it: Bought this book for $4.99 and read it on my Kindle! 

Links:  Good Reads, Blurred Lines & Amazon, Blurred Lines  

Comments

Popular Posts