Wrecking Ball by P. Dangelico



One sentence summary: Professional football player brings in a nanny whose been outcasted and while the two share a home, they slowly explore their feelings for one another.  

First thought: I love Pro Athlete stories and living under the same roof is beginning to be one of my favorite tropes. While I thought the story could have done without the initial insult, overall it was fun to root for these two characters. 

Why I read it: I want to read Bulldozer, but I've learned not to read books out of order this month... 

POV: First Person Female 

Setting: Under one roof, Cam's NFL style home. 

Tropes: Second Chance/Hate to Love, Slow Burn, Nanny, Professional Athlete  

Our Heroine: Cam. She's been through the ringer and is working to rebuild her life. As a teacher, I felt for her- trying to fill the void of losing a career. She clearly cares about others, so it was easy to care about her. I thought the relationship with her husband was strange and I find it a bit disingenuous when she was thinking about her ex. But that could easily just have been me. 

Our Hero: Calvin is our typical grumpy male athlete that needs to be reminded that he can love. It took a bit of jealousy for him to really see Cam and sometimes that bothers me. I'm still not sure why he has to make such a nasty remark about her in the beginning, I think the hate to love could have been done without it. I also wish Calvin tried to bond more with his nephew. He's not my favorite hero.

Overall thoughts: I liked the story and thought it played nicely with the tropes. Calvin isn't the worst hero, but he's not my favorite. I love slow burn romances and enjoyed that this one was only our heroine's POV. In a slow burn, I like single POV because it really lets us wonder along with our narrator. I'm excited to read the next book in the series. I enjoyed P. Dangelico's writing style and story telling, I'm just hoping for a hero I connect more with. 

The sexy scenes: I'm not blushing over them and I'm not complaining about them. Obviously, it's a slow burn- so we've got to wait it out. 

The best part of the book: Ethan Vaughn. While his friendship with our heroine seemed a little forced, I know it was to get us interested in Ethan- and I'm hooked. He was by far my favorite character and the biggest reason I'm going to read Sledgehammer

Worst part of the book: The hero. Just not my cup of tea. 

TLDR: This story was pretty good and I liked our heroine, but I'm hoping for a sweeter guy in book two! 

How I read it: Bought this book for $3.99 and read it on my Kindle! 

Links:  Wrecking Ball on Amazon & Wrecking Ball on Goodreads 

Enjoy my blog? Follow me on Twitter or add me on Goodreads

Comments

Popular Posts