Sweet Cheeks by K. Bromberg


One sentence summary: Girl takes high school ex turned celebrity to ex fiance's wedding to save her bakery. 

First thought: Woah, that's a lot of back story. We seem to spend most of our time trapped in our heroine and hero's thoughts. Honestly, there's like a line of dialogue then the characters have to think about their past and the implications of what they've said for like three paragraphs. 

Why I read it: This is my first movie start celebrity trope. Normally I stick to athletes or musicians. I read it because I've never participated in an Author Q&A and wanted to give it a go!

POV: First Person M|F alternating, Present Tense 

Setting: Destination Wedding! Then a small town nearish(?) to Hollywood.

Tropes: Second Chance, Older Brother's Best Friend, Celebrity Hero & Regular Heroine

Our Heroine: Saylor. I like her. She cares about her business and will do anything to make sure she's successful, even if that means attending the world's most uncomfortable wedding.  She's sweet and passionate- it's easy to get behind her as our heroine. 

Our Hero: Hayes. He's alright. He makes it clear to the reader that he likes Saylor, but when it comes down to it, he makes her do all the heavy lifting, and I'm not really sure why. If there's some kind of block there, it wasn't clear to me. As the reader, we're just kind of screaming- TELL HER. 

Overall thoughts: I liked the storyline, but sometimes felt pretty uncomfortable. Having called off a wedding of my own, I could have never seen myself attending my ex's. For reasons that happen exactly in the book. That day shouldn't be about someone else's past- but maybe I'm too close to that subject. 

I liked Saylor a lot- but the nickname Say, has got to go! It kept pulling me from the story thinking "Say what!?" 

For me, this story was too inside our narrator's head with not enough action. This is almost in stark contrast with what I said about the book Hate Notes. But, I found this inner monologue flaw easier to oversee. I guess because it gave us more character development and that's pretty important in a genera that unapologetically rewrites tropes! (And that's how we know we'll love it!)

The sexy scenes: Extra sexy. In fact, These were some of the sexiest scenes I've read since reviewing. I liked our bossy, dirty talking hero here. We didn't get to fully witness his bossiness, but I think the part I disliked about the book made for excellent bedroom scenes. 

The best part of the book: A long time friendship between these two is clear. It gave us familiarity and I loved that our heroine never saw her celebrity as a celebrity. 

Worst part of the book: The dreaded talk. It happens in every romance novel, but theres wasn't believable and I just didn't care. 

TLDR: If you like a lot of inner brooding, this book is for you. Personally I like a little more action than full on inner dialogue. 

How I read it: Downloaded this gift to my Kindle from one of my reader groups! Thanks K. Bromberg for the giveaway! 

Links:  Goodreads, Sweet Cheeks & Amazon, Sweet Cheeks 

Comments

Popular Posts