The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

Five out of Five Stars

One sentence summary: Josh and Lucy hate each other, and now they're up for the same promotion- but there's a reason love and hate are opposites? Right? 

First thought: This is the kind of book you hold to your chest when you close it. The kind of book where you read a paragraph over and over again because it's so sweet and the end is coming and you're not ready.  

Why I read it: It's promptly displayed at the top of so many lists, and it's well worth it. 

POV: First Personal Female, Present Tense 

Setting: City (I think I missed where, or it doesn't say. Australia? Purposefully nondescript?) 

Tropes: Office Romance, Enemies to Lovers 

Our Heroine: Lucy. I love her! She's just the right amount of quirky, but it doesn't stop her from being career driven. She's got the kind of job I wish I was built for. And while she's modest, her confidence is killer. She's adorably fun and funny. 

Our Hero: Josh. First of all, I love the name Josh-- it makes me swoon instantly. It takes Lucy a while to really figure him out, but as a reader, I thought he was pretty predictable. I totally didn't mind since he was incredibly sexy. Josh has certainly found a way into my short list of book boyfriends. 

Overall thoughts: It's harder for me to write a review about a book I loved. Sally Thorne's writing style is incredible. I loved the humor, both in action and dialogue. I often find dialogue humor to be forced, or cheesy, and it gets on my nerves when a character laughs at something that's not funny. That NEVER happened in this book. I think I smiled the whole way through-- in fact, my cheeks are a little sore.   

The sexy scenes: Like any good enemies to lovers, this was a slow burn. The sex scenes were beautiful and full of emotion. They weren't dirty- they were raw. If I could be an author, I'd claim these as my inspiration. 

The best part of the book: The ending. It was perfect.  

Worst part of the book: That it had an ending? I mean, really nothing! 

TLDR: Read this book. It's beautifully written and achingly charming. 

How I read it: Bought it from Barns & Noble with my Christmas gift card. 

Links: The Hating Game on GoodReads & The Hating Game on Amazon

Enjoy my blog? Follow me on Twitter or add me on Goodreads

Comments

  1. I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK. I first got it from the library, and now I own it in paperback and in audiobook. I'm going to a romance book convention in April (KissCon in Chicago) and SALLY THORNE IS GOING TO BE THERE and I'm not bringing many books to be signed, but you but your patootie The Hating Game is one of the few books I'm bringing. *swoon*

    I also don't have many book boyfriends, but I absolutely keep both Josh and Lucy locked in a little box in my heart. (With lots of smurfs.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts