Good Time by Jana Aston


One sentence summary: Quirky girl commandeers a life coach and husband in less than 24 hours: Can she make it work?  

First thought: Woah! Payton is a character. It's refreshing to get such a strong character type because sometimes in romance our characters seem a little "stock." Payton tells her story in an almost stream of conscious way. It's awesome how Jana Aston can switch between Payton's inner dialogue and plot writing. 

Don't say it.
Don't say it. 
Don't say it. 
Don't say it. 

Reading this book was... A Good Time.  
Sorry! 

Why I read it: Instagram! My new favorite place to get book recommendations. That, and the title sold me. 

POV: First Person Female. Present tense. 

Setting: Las Vegas! 

Tropes: Accidental Marriage, Hard Working Female

Our Heroine: Payton. So funny! I'm ready to declare my best friend status with her. In fact, she's currently my favorite heroine- and has inspired my new blog post idea: best heroines! Payton is so free spirited and into trying new things, she makes me want to be more like her. 

Our Hero: Vince. This is the first book that I'm reviewing where I didn't get to experience our hero's POV. I loved this little shift for me. It made me wonder what Vince was thinking the whole time. He's certainly hot and incredibly interesting. He's a kind hero that lets his girl truly be herself- he's just here for the ride! 

Overall thoughts: Payton's chemistry with Vince is off the charts- even though it's hard to know what he's thinking. I love that Jana shows us everything Payton wants and doesn't hold back. This book is one my my new favorite Rom Coms. I'm obsessed with Payton's life sampling outlook and love that this girl is not ashamed to be who she is. This book had me laughing out loud. 

I liked Jana's writing style and can't wait to get my hands on another book of her's. I loved our side characters and am a big fan of Canon's! I hope he gets his own installment in the 'Good' series. I love when authors develop strong friendships among their characters and let us enjoy life developments through them. 

The sexy scenes: Real hot. Vince is generous in the bedroom, and the shower! I said it before, and I'll say it again. These two have chemistry. It was fun watching them develop that and trust inside and out of the bedroom.  

The best part of the book: The relationships Payton builds with other characters. It was easy to see that she's truly herself with each person. And while she lets others in the book get close to her, it was easy to see that Vince is special. While a reserved heroine/hero is exciting to build trust with, Payton's openness was really refreshing. 

Worst part of the book: Truly my fault here. I didn't read the first book in the series... I've never been like this before! But this is the second time this month. I didn't get all the references and couldn't tell if Payton's story ran alongside her roommate Lydia's story. So, that's the only thing that really pulled me out of the story. 

TLDR: Laugh out loud and quirky bold heroine done right! I book the first book in this installment instantly after finishing Good Time. 

How I read it: Bought this book for $4.99 and read it on my Kindle! 

Links:  Goodreads, Good Time & Amazon, Good Time 

Comments

Popular Posts