Verity by Colleen Hoover


Four out of Five Stars

One sentence summary: Author Lowel Ashleigh agrees to ghost write the final books in Verity's best selling series. But, when she arrives at the Crawford home, she accidentally digs up a life she wasn't expecting. 

First thought: As a psychological thriller, I would have given this book five stars, but because I'm also here for the romance-- I knocked it down one. 

Why I read it: This book came with my Audible Romance package, so my husband and I listened on our way to an out of town wedding. 

POV: First Person, Present Tense, Alternating Female POVs

Setting:  NYC, and the Crawford family home-- which is in like Connecticut, or Vermont. or something New Jersey?

Tropes: Well, more of a genre- Psychological Thriller

Our Heroine: Lowel. I liked her a lot. She's probably my favorite character in the book- although there aren't many to choose from. I liked how reflective she was- particularly on her relationship with her agent. I also found her curiosity totally warranted, sometimes in a thriller, the curiosity of another character can make me cringe, but Lowel is digging into the family past for good reason. 

Also, I love reading books where out heroine is an author and in this case we get a bit of a double dose of that. 

Our Hero: Jeremy. He's the reason this book isn't getting five stars. I didn't find him likable- I mean, yeah in the first few chapters, but as the story progressed, I found him a bit boring. I know he's reserved because of some of the horrific things that happened to his family, but I just wasn't really seeing the chemistry between him and Lowel.  

Overall thoughts: I love the way this story was told! Having two different narrators for the two main women in the story was incredible. I love that Verity gets a chance to tell her story through an old manuscript that Lowel finds in her office. And honestly, I felt haunted. Colleen Hoover messed with me through out the book. I love listening to a good thriller with my husband because we often pause the book and make our predictions. I'll just say that neither of us were ever right. 

There are a few pretty graphic scenes that could cause some triggers for readers, so be cautious going into this read. 

The sexy scenes: My husband and I listened to this book in the car- it was his first ever romance and I think he only listened because I offered to drive. Anyway, when the sexy scenes came on- he couldn't handle it... he even had to pause the book for a minute, so that's how you know they're steamy. 

The best part of the book:  I honestly had no idea where Colleen Hoover was taking us. There were some excellent twists and moments of reckoning. 

My least favorite part: The chemistry between Jeremey and Lowel. I just wasn't buying it-- and I'm here for romance, so I want a little more. 

TLDR: I loved this book! And, I think I loved it more since I listened on Audio! Sometimes, with a thriller, I'll get the urge to skip ahead, but with an audiobook, you just sit back and enjoy the ride. 

How I read it: Listened to it with the Audible Romance Package

Links: Verity on GoodReads & Verity on Amazon



Enjoy my blog? 

Follow me on Twitter
add me on Goodreads
or check out my Instagram!

Comments

Popular Posts