The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren



Five out of Five Stars

One sentence summary: A free vacation, a white lie identify switch, and a lucky miss in the food poisoning department has Olive going on her sister's honeymoon for her-- to bad it's with the groom's brother, aka Olive's Enemy Number One. 

First thought: I was so excited to read this book. I mean awesome plot, great location, cool cover, favorite tropes, and every single thing delivered. I mean, I laughed so hard I accidentally woke up my husband. Oops! 

Why I read it: Christina Lauren is an auto-read author for me! 

POV: First Person, Female. Present Tense 

Setting: Maui and Minnesota 

Tropes: Enemies to Lovers, Stuck Together, Vacation, Fake Relationship  

Our Heroine: Olive. An early 30s with a degree in science- Yas girl! Olive spends most of her time adorably annoyed by Ethan and surrounded by bad luck. I think she's got an awesome character arc. There are a few bits of her personality and life that Olive sees she needs to work on, and instead of making drama she's open to growth. Three cheers for mature female leads! 

Our Hero: Ethan. I always wonder how our writers are going to get us to like the hero in an Enemies to Lovers trope, and by the end of the book I was a little in love with him too. Ethan had some quirks that made him adorable right off the bat. Since this story is told only through Olive's POV, we get to learn that the assumptions she's made about him arn't always true, so it was fun to get to know him through someone else's eyes. 

Overall thoughts: This book nailed situational humor! I love when I have to reread a page because I'm laughing so hard. While I chuckled through out Olive and Ethan's story, I belly laughed twice and that's amazing. 

I thought this book was incredibly relatable-- I mean not the awesome vacation part, but the way our characters approached their problems. While there are moments of frustration and anger, our MCs never acted out for the sake of creating plot. 

The tension and story arc was perfectly paced and there were some great moments that I wasn't expecting. 

The sexy scenes: Steamy and perfectly vacation appropriate! I wasn't blushing, but I was inwardly cheering. 

The best part of the book: The banter-- it was just right. & The adorable one lines Ethan would throw out to Olive.

Worst part of the book: No complaints! 

TLDR: Order this book, but avoid drinking and reading! It's a laugh out loud romp of a love story with characters that pull you in and force you to love them. 

How I read it: I received an ARC copy from the publisher, Gallery Books, in exchange for an honest review. 

Links: The Unhoneymooners on GoodReads & The Unhoneymooners on Amazon


Enjoy my blog? 

Follow me on Twitter
add me on Goodreads
or check out my Instagram!

Comments

Popular Posts