The Foxe & the Hound by R. S. Grey

Two out of Five Stars

One sentence summary: A hot new veterinarian moves into town and becomes Hamilton's most eligible bachelor, but is he ready for love? 

First thought: This book had a bit of a slow start for me. Picked up around 25% and I was laughing and here for our HEA. There were some parts that I fully enjoyed, but they were few and far between. Honestly, the problems out weighed the good for me with this one. 

Why I read it: I read this because I wanted to try a new author this month, and honestly-- The Fox and the Hound was my all time favorite Disney movie... So, great title R.S. Grey! 

POV: Alternating M|F Present Tense 

Setting: Small Town: Hamilton, Texas

Tropes: Small Town, Doctor, Not ready for relationship, Doesn't have it together heroine. (Are tropes supposed to be one word?)

Our Heroine: Madeleine. She's cute and an adorable mess. I like that she puts herself out there by attending Hamilton's single events. She's really just a bit more open that a lot of the heroine's I've read. I liked her career development and found her giant dog mouse adorable.  

Our Hero: Adam. This character gave me whiplash. I mean, one minute he's ready to bone down with Madeleine and the next minute he's ignoring her calls. I also found him overly aggressive in a way that was not okay. 

Overall thoughts: This book was cheesy and honestly, just not believable. The dialogue didn't feel realistic, their actions didn't feel real, and honestly, I was just disappointed. Toward the end of the story there was an incredibly dramatic plot line, for no reason at all. 

I did find myself laughing a bit out loud and a lot of the above could have been forgiven-- earning this book more stars, but what I could not deal with were the sexy scenes. I even had to check when this book was published, because it couldn't have been during the height of the Me Too movement. I thought all modern romances included consent. 

The sexy scenes: If I'm reading and wonder, "why is he grabbing her like that," or "does she want this right now," I'm not here for it. This book really towed the line with me. Adam was so forward it was creepy. As we read from Madeleine's POV, we see that she's not even sure if she likes him in the beginning, which makes this a bit worse for me. I mean there's even a part of the book where she says, "crowding my space until I give in." That's not romance. 

The best part of the book: Madeleine. I wanted to be her friend. 

Worst part of the book: This book was written in 2017. It should not be towing a line of, "is this consent?" 

TLDR: This book was not for me. 

How I read it: Read for free with my Kindle Unlimited subscription.   

Links: The Foxe & the Hound on GoodReads 

Enjoy my blog? Follow me on Twitter or add me on Goodreads

Comments

Popular Posts