Surrender by Amy Daws


Four out of Five Stars.

One sentence summary: The oldest Harris brother finally decides it's time to give up control and he knows just the woman for the job. 

First thought: Well, at 17% I'm finding I love the title of this book! And, I'm officially a football romance fan! 

Why I read it: Tanya Eby and Sarina Bowen's podcast, Story Bites, did it's first episode on this book. After hearing the first chapter via audio book, I knew I had to read the rest. 

POV: Alternating M|F. First Person, Present Tense 

Setting: Manchester, England 

Tropes: Famous Athlete, Family, Divorce 

Our Heroine: Sloan. As a personal stylist, Sloan gets to interact with many upper crust English folk, but she's never star struck. While she has a passion for fashion, (sorry!) it's obvious that her number one priority is her daughter. Our hero teaches Sloan that she's a strong mother, and while it's nice when we learn these things on our own as women, I think there is something beautiful about having a significant other that brings out our best qualities. 

Our Hero: Gareth. I wasn't a fan of his name and had to correct myself when I started called him Garrett. But I was a fan of his brooding athlete personality! swoon It felt like Gareth was the most grown hero I've read, but in actuality it's a front he built for his family. I loved watching Sloan tear those walls down. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about a football player, since I usually read hockey romance, but a brooding athlete is a brooding athlete! Thanks for proving me wrong Amy! 

Overall thoughts: There's a lot of time jumping, which I'm not used to in my romance reads. I don't mind it, just thought it was an interesting way to develop characters. So, a lot of their growth has happened off the page. I don't mind that because I read romance to see my MCs interact with each other. 

These characters built a lot of their relationship with just each other, so when the Harris family starts to meddle. we see conflict. Like our MCs think, it's easy to start a romance in a bubble. At first I was angry that Surrender turned out to be a part one, but after reading both- I was thrilled. 

Find my full review of Dominate here. 

The sexy scenes: I don't usually go into a lot of detail here because I think part of the fun is being surprised. With romance, so much of the plot is familiar, so but I wasn't ready for these steamy scenes. Because of that, I found them much more enjoyable. 

The best part of the book: The Harris brothers! I've already downloaded Endurance... I knew I'd read it as soon as I spied the fake relationship trope. 

Worst part of the book: No complaints here! 

TLDR: This sweet romance was all about giving up control and learning to trust. Gareth and Sloan were made for each other and it takes them a long time to find that out. 

How I read it:  Free with the Kindle Unlimited Subscription 

Links: Surrender on GoodReads & Surrender on Amazon 

Enjoy my blog? Follow me on Twitter or add me on Goodreads

Comments

Popular Posts